Thursday, February 11, 2010

Math Facts Go Fish

Mouse has hit the part of grade one when it isn't enough to know how to add; now math addition facts need to be memorized. To help this process along, the girls and I have started to play a modified version of go fish. The goal: to create combinations of cards that add up to a designated sum. The goal of the first hand is to create groups of cards that add up to 10.

Here are the rules:

  1. Use one or two decks of regular playing cards and shuffle them well. For the purposes of this game, Aces count as 1.
  2. Deal five cards to each player. Lay the rest of the deck face down in the middle of the players.
  3. Before the start of play, players lay down any combinations of cards with the sum of '10' face-up in front of them.
  4. The youngest goes first for the first round, after which the privilege goes to the next oldest, and so on.
  5. On their turn, a player can ask any other player for a card that would complete a pair or combination of cards that they have in their hand. For instance, if I had a 5, 2, 7, and 9 in my hand, I might ask another player if they have an Ace. If they do, they have to hand it over and I can lay my new group of 10 in front of me. If they don't I must Go Fish and chose a card from the pile. My turn is over.
  6. Oh, and about those pesky 10's, Jacks, Queens, and Kings: 10's must be laid down in pairs. The royals must be laid down as a threesome. A player can only ask another player for a royal if they have two of the set already in their hand. This means, unless you have a Queen and a King already in your hand, don't be asking anyone for a Jack.
  7. Play continues until one player runs out of cards.
  8. Scoring is as follows: each player gets one point for every card that is part of a set of 10. For instance, my combination of 9 and Ace would earn me 2 points. If a player still has cards in their hand, one point is subtracted for each. If I had three cards still in my hand, my score for the hand would be -1. Bummer.
  9. Collect the cards and shuffle well. It's time for round two: create sums of cards that add up to 11. The final round will be groups of twenty.
Right now Mouse is winning with 21 points. Emma is close behind with 20. I've got 9. I hope I have better luck tonight!

2 comments:

  1. Maybe if you'd been my mom, I'd be better at math today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just going to say that. I probably would have thought math was fun, majored in it...and been a prof. of abstract mathematics somewhere *sigh*

    ReplyDelete