1 large butternut squash
1/2 a large sweet onion, diced
1 ½ tbsp grated fresh ginger
1 tart apple, peeled and diced
2 tbsp butter, melted
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp curry powder
4 cups + 2 cups vegetable stock
1 ½ tsp salt (or to taste)
- Preheat oven to 450°F / 225°C. Use convection mode if you have it.
- Split the squash lengthwise, scoop out seeds, and brush with melted butter.
- Roast cut side down on a baking sheet until fork tender (45 minutes to an hour).
- When the squash is nearly done, sauté diced onion, ginger and apple in remaining butter and olive oil over medium-low heat.
- Add curry powder and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and add roasted squash. Discard skins and any blackened bits.
- Using a hand blender or food processor, purée until smooth.
- Add an additional 2 cups vegetable stock and heat through. Salt to taste.
- Serve with a dollop of cream, a few croutons, a sprinkle of cilantro or roasted squash seeds for garnish.