Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Kids These Days

It's Tuesday, September 2, and I'm helping out in Mrs. Hugo's level 2 (grade 1) class. The kids are busy making clay models of themselves for a display on the United Nations Charter of Rights for Children.

Six-year-old Leo is putting the finishing touches on his still headless torso when he looks up at me and asks, "Who are you going to vote for in the US presidential election?"

I can't help but smile, but successfully smother a laugh. "I'm Canadian, Leo. Canadians don't get to vote."

"Me neither," he says, shaking his head in all seriousness. "But if you could, who would you vote for?"

I don't hesitate. "Obama."

Leo punches a fist into the air, "Yeah! Obama rocks." He then reaches for his clay head and sticks it on top of his torso. Would you believe he puts it on perfectly straight?

1 comment: