Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Seven

"It's a girl," the doctor said.

"It is?" It took a minute for it to sink in. For almost 9 months I had thought you were a boy. That's what everyone kept telling me. The people I worked with, my patients, even the muffin lady at the mall, they all looked at my big basketball-like belly and nodded knowingly like they could see right inside. "Yes, a boy," they said. Silly Mommy believed them. Daddy, too.

So, while they cleaned you and weighed you, the reality of you sank in. A girl. My girl. Mine.

It suddenly occurred to me to introduce you. I interrupted the doctor who was carefully stitching my tummy closed.

"Her name is Emma."

"What?" he said, looking up.

"Her name is Emma. Emma the Brave."

"That's a nice name," he said, smiling. He was right.

They gave you to your daddy to hold while you slept your first sleep without me. (I'm still jealous, can you tell?) Ever since that very first moment, you've never ceased to amaze me. You make me laugh; you make me proud; you make me want to be the best mom I can be.

Happy Birthday, my darling! Mommy loves you

No comments:

Post a Comment