Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Twinkle's Wish

Illustrated by the children of Class 1A at the International School of Geneva. Written by me. Enjoy!

Twinkle was tiny and Twinkle was white,
the brightest and smallest of twinkles of light,

burst from the Sun and aimed straight for the Earth
and bearing one wish that she’d had since her birth:

“I wish to be scarlet, bright orange or gold.
I wish to be coloured – a sight to behold!”

A glowing blue ball through the darkness appeared
As Twinkle flew quickly, it rapidly neared.

“Blue is the colour that I want to be
I am sure brilliant blue is the colour for me!”

Twinkle wiggled and wriggled and squiggled to steer
Toward sparkling blue oceans and seas as they neared.

Despite wiggles and wriggles her path did not change,
Leaving wide open seas for a huge mountain range.

Blushing red peaks in a tidy long row
towered high up above a thick forest below.

“I wish to be red or a lush leafy green;
I wish to be coloured, a sight to be seen!”

She wiggled and wriggled and squiggled to steer
Toward rugged red peaks and green trees as they neared.

Despite wiggles and wriggles her path did not change,
Pushing past rocky peaks to a great yellow plain.

A ripe field of wheat in the last light of day
rippled and swayed as two impish winds played;

“I wish to be yellow, the colour of gold;
I wish to be coloured, a sight to behold!”

She wiggled and wriggled and squiggled with glee
so certain she was that bright gold she would be.

And she might have been, too, had a heavy dark cloud
not started to drip great round drops to the ground.

In the blink of an eye there were drops on all sides
and to Twinkle’s dismay there was no place to hide.

With no way to stop and without means to steer
Twinkle’s last wish became perfectly clear:

“I wish that these drops will not swallow me whole!
I wish to be Twinkle, a sight to behold!”

It was then that it happened, on that fateful day:
All her wishes came true in their own special way.

1 comment: